Woodfire Camping is a relaxed gastro-campsite in West Sussex with breathtaking views, hearty food cooked over open-fire and a welcoming atmosphere for all.
A large, open field with spectacular views of the South Downs rolling into the distance, this stunning spot can be found on a small stud farm near Petworth, West Sussex. A footpath leads directly from the field to a network of walks and cycle routes through glorious countryside, with beaches, stately homes, wonderful gardens, open-air museums and fun parks all just a short drive away.
Woodfire’s hosts, Stella and Griff, cook up delicious locally-sourced daily seasonal fare on the grill for campers (evening meals and breakfasts), with menus created for both kids and grown-ups.
Camping with a difference in West Sussex
If you’re a seasoned camper with all the gear, great. If not, fine pre-pitched canvas tents are available to hire along with roll mats and a hamper containing extra blankets, hot water bottles and nightlights – so you can try camping out or set up alongside friends. All campers need to bring their own bedding. Powerful hot spa-like showers, fantastic sunsets and crystal-clear drinking water, straight from a borehole are definitely worth shouting about!
Woodfire Camping is open from Easter to the end of September, weekends and school holidays only. The site is also available for private hire, corporate events and Feasts. Check the website for availability and bookings.
Things to do nearby
The site is perfectly situated for exploring the South Downs by bike or on foot.
- Marmalade MTB bikes will deliver hire bikes to the campsite and will provide an experienced local guide who can put together guided, custom, off-road cycling experiences for any age group.
- Stunning walks are aplenty – the spot is ideal for ramblers and Stella and Griff are happy to recommend a route suited to your party – from a 20 minute stroll to look at the horses, to an amble to the local pub.
- The riding centre at Westerlands Life (the farm on which Woodfire is situated) is just a four-minute walk away and the equestrian manager there will match you and your level of experience to the right steed. Trek across the Downs, take in a country pub or canter across the beach!
- Rivers for fans of SUP or a summer dip are a short drive away, as are the beaches of Pagham, Climping and Littlehampton.
- Petworth is close by – home to Newlands House Gallery and ideal for antique lovers, or those who fancy a cream tea and a wander around the bucolic grounds at The National Trust’s Petworth House.
Good to know
Woodfire has a second site in Firle, East Sussex, which is available for private hire only in summer 2023. It’s the perfect place for groups of friends looking for a quiet site for a get together and was recently featured as one of The Guardian’s ’20 UK Campsites with a difference’.
Stella and Griff will also host and cater for corporate events. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.